St. Monica Catholic Church


The parish was established in 1886. Prior to the formation of St. Monica, the nearest Catholic church was at Olvera Street in Downtown Los Angeles.[1] The current church opened for Christmas in 1925. At the time, the Los Angeles Times reported: “The opening of St. Monica’s Church, ranked in the cathedral class and probably the finest Catholic Church of its kind on the Pacific Coast, will be celebrated with solemn high mass at 5 o’clock Christmas morning. For the first time the interior splendors of this remarkably beautiful and dignified religious edifice will be revealed to St. Monica’ parish, and many out-of-town visitors are expected.”[2] The church was not officially dedicated until July 1926, at which time the Los Angeles Times reported: “A crowd numbering many thousands surrounded the handsome limestone structure on California avenue and Seventh street, the overflow standing under the towering eucalipti of the city park opposite the church. … Strains from the great pipe organ of St. Monica’s floated to the overflow crowd outside to give at least a hint of the sacred services within.”[3]