Brand Park History
What is now Brand Library was built in 1904 as Leslie C. Brand’s home, Miradero, “a high place overlooking a wide view.” Designed by Brand’s brother-in-law, architect Nathaniel Dryden, it was inspired by the East Indian Pavilion built for the 1893 Columbian World Exposition held in Chicago.
On April 10, 1925, Mr. Brand died, leaving his estate to the City of Glendale upon the death of his wife, provided it be turned into a public library and park. Mrs. Brand died in 1945. By 1956, the mansion had been converted into a 5,000 sq. ft. library.
In 1969 an addition, a modernized version of the original Saracenic design, added 21,000 sq. ft. It includes an art gallery, a recital hall, a sculpture court, and Brand Park Studios. This addition was built as “the cultural showplace of Glendale,” a role it plays to this day.